Thursday, February 5, 2009

Provinces of China

Have you ever wondered how about all those provinces in China? Well... when I was little, I didn't know that China didn't have "states" like we do here. When I got older, I learned that they were provinces... and I always wondered how they were separated and how they looked like. Well, now wikipedia offers an easy-to-read map of all the provinces in China :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:PRC_provinces_big_imagemap

I like that the colors are subtle and don't distract. As far as communicating the provinces go, this map is successful.

However, the thing I don't understand are the blue and red lines; what do those mean? And why is Taiwan in white? Maybe it's a political thing... maybe the creator of this map thinks that China and Taiwan have "wiped face" (I'm not sure how to translate that phrase in English!) and so, they made Taiwan look invisible! Hahaha oooh the questions, they burn. I'm going to have to pace around my room dramatically until I figure out the meaning of those lines.

Or maybe someone else will figure it out and let me know.

2 comments:

N•tt said...

I think the blue line indicates the seaside Gloria....

janemc said...

um well because the map is titled Administrative Divisions of The People's Republic of China(PCR)...Taiwan formerly Formosa is not one of their provinces, though China regards it as such it is controlled by The Republic of China(ROC). There's lots to read on the political status of Taiwan...