Thursday, September 25, 2008

Not design related, just a fun FYI

In my earlier blog, I made a reference to Novala Takemoto. I just wanted to write a little about who he is, and what he does.

Novala Takemoto is a Japanese author and fashion designer. I have read translated interviews, and one of the cutest things Novala has said was that he claims to have the spirt of a young maiden! And yes, he is heterosexual. Like myself, Novala promotes the popular lolita lifestyle. He is perhaps most famous for his book Shimotsuma Monogatari (English title: Kamikaze Girls), which became a movie in 2002, starring Kyoko Fukada and Anna Tsuchiya. Novala also modeled his clothing line, Pour Lolita, which he designed for Baby, The Stars Shine Bright and can be seen in The Gothic & Lolita Bible.

In October 2006, I attended the Pacific Media Expo (PMX) at the LAX Hilton Hotel. PMX held a Lolita Tea Party--which I didn't attend because seats were too expensive for me at the time--so Novala was one of their guests of honor. He was to attend the tea party and to hold a panel discussion. I actually attended the Expo for the Olivia concert, but I did bump into and take a picture with Novala! I was waiting for something that I can't remember right now, but I saw Novala standing about five feet away from me and the only thing I could think was "OH. MY. GOD. THAT CAN'T BE HIM." About twenty feet away from me was this huge line of lolitas waiting for the panel to start, and they had no idea he was right there. So I quickly went up to him and asked if I could take a picture with him. He said yes, and this was the result!


After me, the lolitas finally took notice. I'm proud to say that I was the first and one of maybe 10 or less girls who got to snap a picture with him :)


(L-R) Kyoko Fukada, Novala Takemoto, Anna Tsuchiya.


Novala in a BTSSB spread.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I design CD and DVD sleeves, booklets and digipacks at my work place Color Depot. I know that some people don't have enough budgets, sponsors, or producers who help them in their financial needs to hire good designers. But some others don't pay attention to the first impression, which is the CD cover. For me the visual is the most important.